Application Deadline: Varies by Country
Applications are now being received for the 2023/24 Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program for foreign graduates and educators, fully funded to the United States for candidates over 50 countries.
The Fulbright FLTA Program is sponsored by the United States Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). As part of the Fulbright Foreign Student Program, the Fulbright FLTA Program is designed to develop Americans’ knowledge of foreign cultures and languages by supporting teaching assistantships in over 30 languages at hundreds of U.S. institutions of higher education.
Fulbright FLTA Program Eligibility
All Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) program applicants must be nominated by a U.S. Embassy or a Fulbright Commission; independent applicants do not qualify. You are eligible to participate in the Fulbright FLTA program if you:
• Reside in the countries of nomination such as Ghana, Nigeria, Rwanda, Burkina Faso, etc. at the time of application. Here is a list of other participating countries, along with contact information.
• Possess the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s degree with a good academic record; Master’s degrees are highly desirable at many institutions
• Are an early career teacher of English or training to become a teacher of English, or are an early career educator in a related field; prior teaching experience is preferred
• Have a sincere interest in teaching your native language and culture to students in the U.S.
• Are fluent in English, as demonstrated by a recent score of no less than 550 (Paper Based TOEFL), 79-80 (Internet Based TOEFL – IBT), or 6.0 (Overall Score International English Language Testing System – IELTS); test scores can be submitted to IIE by indicating the institutional code 2326 on the day of the test
• Plus, other eligibility conditions not listed on this page.
The Fulbright FLTA grant is one academic year (approximately 9-10 months) non-renewable opportunity.
Please use the drop-down menu here to find information about the Fulbright Program in your home country, including other eligibility requirements, deadline and application guidelines.