Deadline for Application: August 6, 2023
The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was launched by the United States of America Government as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African business and social enterprise leaders launched the Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI).
YALI promotes three models designed to identify and empower young leaders: 4 Regional Leadership Centers (RLCs), the Mandela Washington Fellowship (MWF) and the YALI Network.
YALI Africa Climate Tech Innovators and Leaders Program is a three-week, in-person, learning, networking, and joint action program for young African leaders experimenting with social and business interventions at the convergence of climate action and technology.
Competition for the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa is merit-based and open to young West African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission,
- Citizens and residents of sub-Saharan African countries
- Not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Proficiency in reading, writing, listening, and speaking English.
Selection for participation will be conducted as a merit-based, open competition. All eligible applications will be reviewed by a selection panel. Chosen semi-finalists will then be interviewed before a final selection is made and an invitation to join the program is issued.
Specific selection criteria used are:
- Demonstrated leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected, and
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
Benefits of the Award
- Business and Entrepreneurship: This track caters to the range of emerging or aspiring entrepreneurs who expect to take on leadership roles within the private sector or build their own business ventures on the continent. Click Here to Apply
- Civil Society Management: This track is oriented to those who are or aspire to be civically engaged and serve the public through non-governmental organizations, community-based organizations, or volunteerism. Click Here to Apply
- Public Policy and Management: This track is tailored to those who work or aspire to work in any level of government (including elected positions), regional organizations such as the African Union or the West Africa Community, international organizations such as the United Nations, or other publicly minded organizations or think tanks. Click Here to Apply
- At the end of the programs, participants will be awarded a certificate and become a member of the Yali Alumni Network.
- Participants will be taking through various forms of leadership training to prepare them for leadership roles in their various endeavors.
Applicants will NOT be discriminated against on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socioeconomic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
How to Apply:
Click on the links below to apply:
- Business and Entrepreneurship Track
- Civil Society Management Track
- Public Policy and Management Track
For more information, visit the official YALI Africa website here.