Application Deadline: July 14, 2023
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Job Purpose and Organizational Context
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the United Nations agency responsible for human settlements, mandated to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities, with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all; within the overall objective of the United Nations to reduce poverty and promote sustainable development. UN-Habitat in Ghana works with partners within the framework of Government-UN Sustainable Development (UNSDP) which responds to Ghana’s development priorities and Sustainable Developments (SDGs) for People, Planet, Peace and Partnerships by 2030.
UN-Habitat contributes to the achievement of Ghana’s Coordinated Programme of Economic and Social Development Policies (2017-2024) and the Ghana Beyond Aid Charter towards Ghana@100 (2057).
An agile UN-Habitat in Ghana that is working and co-creating with partners and communities to accelerate sustainable urban development seeks to engage the services of a Driver.
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Office and the direct supervision of the Programme Associate, the Driver is responsible for providing efficient driving and clerical duties for the running of the Office. The Driver promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with UN rules and regulations.
The Driver assists in the effective and efficient management of the office by providing driving and administrative support to management. The driver applies and promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UN-Habitat rules and regulations, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Duties and Responsibilities
SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
- Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Ensures availability of required documents/supplies
- Provides of Administrative support
1.) Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services, focusing on the following achievements:
- Driving project vehicle for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items,
- Meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport including visa and customs formalities arrangement when required
2.) Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle, focusing on the following achievements:
- Accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports
3.) Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle, focusing on the following achievements:
- Timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
4.) Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies, focusing on the following achievements:
- Monitoring of vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle are in place and updated
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents
5.) Provides administrative support, focusing on the following achievements:
- Provides administrative support to operational activities such as front counter support.
- collect and deliver pouch, delivery of mail, issue purchase orders to vendors, collect supplies, put up UN-Habitat flag.
- Performs any other duties with the functional profile as assigned and deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the office as directed.
Supervisory/Managerial Responsibilities: Not Applicable
LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility
LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination
LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner
LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion
LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
|Business Direction||Effective Decision Making||Ability to take decisions in a time and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources|
|Business Management||Communication||Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience|
|Business Management||Customer Satisfaction||Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns|
|Ethics||Ethics Education and Training||Ability to provide education and training on ethics, values, and standards and promote staff awareness of ethical behaviour and ethical decision making;|
|Administration & Operations||Vehicle management||Knowledge of policy & procedures on fleet management|
|Administration & Operations||Registry & correspondencemanagement||Ability to collect, register, maintain and deliver mailand UN- Habitat pouch; ability to manage archives|
Required Skills and Experience
The Driver should provide reliable and secure driving services to and from any destination. He/she should also be knowledgeable of the proper use of a vehicle and is responsible for its maintenance and upkeep. The driver should be cautious and drive safely to ensure the safety of the passengers and/or items. He/she should also be prompt and timely to ensure that there is no delay for the passengers or the delivery of important items.
Secondary Education, Valid Driver’s license.
- Must be a professional driver who might have worked with an international organization or within the UN system with a safe driving record;
- A minimum of 3 years work experience as a driver including experience driving others.
- Experience driving high profile dignitaries is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Knowledge of protocol and customs issues