Deadline: May 25, 2023
The Global Schools Advocates Program promotes transformative change in classrooms by integrating sustainable development into teacher training to improve student learning. Selected teachers will undergo a training program on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Education for Sustainable Development (ESD). The training program will be delivered online, with the ability for teachers to interact with a global cohort of educators.
During the comprehensive training program, educators will be introduced to the Sustainable Development Goals and learn about action-based pedagogy and ideas to integrate ESD into the classrooms. After the successful completion of the training, educators will receive the Global Schools Advocate title as well as the Global Schools Advocate Toolkit and begin their journey to integrate ESD into schools.
Advocates will be tasked with inspiring their fellow teachers and school leaders to take up action for the SDGs, as well as incorporate sustainable development within their lesson plans. Advocates will act as a driving force within their school community to ensure sustainable development is introduced and adopted into school curriculum and operations. The Advocates will serve a term from July 2023 to December 2023, with the option to extend their mandate. Advocates will be given access to other training opportunities and webinars during the months their schools are on holiday.
Teachers accepted to the program will receive:
• Free online training, developed by the Global Schools team to increase sustainable development literacy and provide teachers with new, active strategies to implement in the classroom;
• Monthly online workshops and conversations on sustainable development to connect educators with other education leaders and SDG Advocates;
• Access to an educator network of like-minded teachers working to implement activities and lessons on global issues within their classrooms;
• Visibility opportunities and participation in conferences as educators can be selected to share their advocacy work at the International Conference on Sustainable Development, the Vatican Youth Symposium, the ECOSOC Youth Forum, and in the Global Schools Case-Study Guide;
• Structured mentorship program with an experienced educator who has already completed the Global Schools Advocates program;
• A comprehensive Advocates Toolkit with 17+ supporting documents meant to guide their work in school communities;
• A formal Certificate of Completion.
• Applicants are teachers at primary or secondary school worldwide for the duration of the Advocate mandate (July 2023-December 2023). Teachers employed through volunteering programs such as UN Volunteers, Fulbright, Teach for All, etc. are also eligible).
• Applicants possess a high level of English to complete the Advocates Training and engage with the global network.
• Willingness to commit a minimum of 5 hours per week for this role. Global Schools does not require you to implement a defined curriculum. Your 5-10 hours a week should be spent learning, brainstorming with other teachers, experimenting with integrating sustainable development in your lesson plans, and creating a movement for sustainable development in your school.
• Passion for the mission of the sustainable development goals and the Paris Climate Agreement. However, no prior experience with the sustainable development goals is required!
• Willingness to learn and engage with a global community of teachers.
• Ability to inspire others and willingness to motivate other teachers and faculty in your school to join you on your ESD journey!